REMINDER: All credentials with the exception of the Coach Clinic MUST be completed BEFORE any on or off ice practices.
There are many websites that have practice drills that you can use, just a few are:
Document put forth by USA Hockey to assist with identifying and recovering from Sports Related Concussions. Symptoms and Signs of a Sports Related Concussion along with a Strategy for returning to School or Sports once a Concussion has been identified.
THA adheres to the student coach rules from USA and Carolina Amateur Hockey Association.
What are the rules and regulations for using a Student Coach?
A player between the ages of 13 and 17 who is currently properly registered with USA Hockey may serve as a student coach under the following conditions:
* Must attend a training session conducted by the local hockey association.
* Must always be under the supervision of a carded, screened adult coach during all practices, clinics, try-outs, and in the locker room.
* May help out at practices, clinics, try-outs only. (May not play during scrimmages or games).
* May not act as the head coach or assistant coach during practices or games.
* Must wear a helmet with full face shield, gloves, and skates while on the ice. Must wear helmet during games while on the bench.
* May only work with players at least one full playing age level down.
* The organization that is using the student coach must provide a form indicating on what team he/she is participating as a student coach, and, if applicable, what team he/she is properly registered/rostered as a player (form located below).
* Upon reaching the age of 18, the student coach must comply with all USA Hockey coaching and screening rules and regulations.
In addition all student coaches who meet the above criteria must be listed on the team roster for which they are a student coach.
Anyone who does not meet these criteria will not be allowed to skate, demonstrate drills or otherwise help coach any team on which they are not rostered.
Student coaches can be a valuable tool when coaching. The THA board supports those players who will take the position seriously and take the necessary steps to become a student coach. The Board is currently considering the number of student coaches that will be permitted per team